July 18, 2008

What Losing Doesn’t A Loser Make

When I was growing up, I was always told that losing was a bad thing – especially in a typically Asian culture which dictates that of if you fail at something you have lost face – or worse, the entire family’s dignity has been ripped to shreds. I begin to believe that losing means that a person becomes a big nothing, worthless to the core – not a good place to be.

Then as I got older, I started seeing people lose – in sports, education, business and even love – but they lost trying their best and giving it their best shot. In everything that you choose to do, do it according to the best and highest standards you can possibly set for yourself. Losers are people give up on themselves when they still have the support of others. Losers are people who say no without even trying. Losers are people that keep saying that they don’t have a choice but then always decide to take the easy way out. Losers are people who ask for help and when given a solution, they don’t take action.

If you fit any of these descriptions, then go and buy one of those “L” stickers for the cars and stick it on your forehead. This is because you have no direction in life and no reason to exist because you decide to be a victim and give up without even trying your best.

You will become part of the furniture and be used accordingly – as a utility, a non-entity and a person dead to the world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is by far the best writing about losing; not to mention Billy Lim's famous book :"Dare to fail"..
[giggle.. however, he failed numerously in his political combat].

As far as I am concern, there are ways to avoid failure: STATUS QUO, DON'T MAKE A DIFFERENT, DON'T TRY ANYTHING NEW! However, these routes are leading you no way..

Anonymous said...

This blog is meant for losers to realize that they are indeed losers. So wake up and smell the roses.

Anonymous said...

this reminds me of what my father said...in every situation,example when you are face to face with someone and its a matter of minutes both of you are gonna start throwing punches, there are two options. 1st, you back off and walk away and 2nd you fight head on...whatever the reasons are, you are the one to choose. if you back off,some might say that you are a loser...you didnt fight.some might say you are smart...not to make fuss about small things.backing down is not always a loser's move.instead, reasons is the key answer. so have a valid reason if you wanna to back down on anything or, you are a LOSER...

Anonymous said...

When I was young, I have no idea why we have to win. Because I used to lose and I have no big emotion on that. Now, I know how important to win and do our best in everything. Because it's drive me to move on and build the confidence little by little.

Ms Yati said...

Losing will make you learn something valuable that no one will ever teach you and this will make you stronger. And this is far to compare to a loser, as they quit on themself nothing more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ernie for this. I've had a few trophies while growing up. And because of that, i couldn't cope with defeat. I always want to win but afraid of defeat, plus the package that comes with it. When that happens i become hard on myself and it becomes more difficult to rise again but i never resort to quitting. I learn to celebrate the small wins.