February 23, 2009

The Importance of keeping a promise…


In business, one must never over promise and under deliver. It will ruin you, eventually. This principle is true of everything else as well; whenever you make a promise, ensure you deliver it otherwise, don’t open your mouth.

On a recent trip to Krabi, a few of my team members promised to treat me to a meal. It didn’t happen. When we returned to Malaysia, I made it a point for them to remember by telling them. It’s not about the hard-up or cheapskate approach. It’s about keeping your word.

You can ask anyone on my team and they’ll tell you that I always keep my promise. It’s not about the big things, but the little gestures that go along way to developing character and leadership skills. A promise is a promise. They got the point and message clearly and decided to make me a sumptuous meal. I was happy and appreciated it. It is never about the food but the promise made must be kept. That builds trust and credibility.

3 comments:

Ms Yati said...

Thanks Ernie for the lesson. I will never forget this.

Anonymous said...

Yes, never over promise and under deliver. Thanks Ernie for always reminding us...

Anonymous said...

thanks Ernie for always remind us on this.. i always remember this in business dealing and personal level.. thank you!